Serving Individuals, Businesses And Communities For 80 Years
Gislason & Hunter LLP is an established and trusted law firm that has grown from a solo practice in a small town to become both a fixture in several communities and a powerful regional firm. We provide comprehensive legal services to businesses and individuals in Minnesota, Iowa and the Upper Midwest.
The Early Years — A Foundation In Service
Sidney P. Gislason opened his law practice in 1937 with one purpose in mind: to provide the highest quality legal services to the people of New Ulm, Minnesota, and the surrounding area. Building on this foundation of dedication to excellence, Gislason & Hunter LLP has steadily expanded its offices and legal staff to meet the growing and diverse needs of its clients.
From modest beginnings in a second-floor office, the firm has grown in size and stature to become one of the largest firms in the state of Minnesota. Our Minneapolis office opened in 1979, the Mankato location was acquired in 1991, and our Des Moines office was founded in 2000.
The Modern Era — Solutions For Today's Challenges
As our firm has grown, so has the scope of our law practice. Gislason & Hunter LLP has become a regional law firm representing clients throughout the Midwest and Northern Plains states. Today, our legal team consists of more than 40 attorneys and 60-plus support staff across our five locations. We strive to be a full-service firm for our clients, catering to business matters as well as personal legal issues. We also embrace our reputation as one of the finest civil litigation and corporate law firms in the region, with the proven capacity to handle complex transactions and high-stakes business disputes.
Our core areas of practice include:
- Business law — General counsel for formation and owner agreements, contracts and transactions, financing, employment law, commercial real estate and ongoing operations
- Agriculture and agribusiness — Industry-savvy counsel for contracts and agreements, ag financing, real estate and land use, regulatory compliance, succession, etc.
- Litigation — Focusing on defending the interests of local and regional businesses, banks, insurers, medical professionals, construction firms and partners/investors
- Banking and finance — Representing community banks and regional lenders in loan documentation, collections and workouts, foreclosures and receivership
- Estate planning — Emphasizing tax planning, business succession and contingency planning for incapacity or untimely death
- Family law and divorce — Resolving or litigating business valuation, property division, child custody, financial support, modifications, enforcement and related matters
Continuing The Tradition And Giving Back To The Community
The Gislason & Hunter family of attorneys, paralegals and administrative staff work as a team to provide the very best results for our clients. To continue this tradition of excellence, our lawyers and staff understand that it is important to stay abreast of rapidly changing legal trends through continuing legal education, state-of-the-art computerized legal support and advanced communication technologies.
We recently celebrated our 80th year, an achievement reflected in the thriving businesses and families we serve. The members of our legal team are active citizens and boosters of the communities where we live and work. We are volunteers and leaders in many civic organizations, and our attorneys regularly provide seminars, training, continuing education and newsletters to businesses, nonprofits, legal peers and the public.
Please contact us online or call Gislason & Hunter at 507-354-3111 to find how our attorneys in Minnesota and Iowa can address your legal needs.