Proper estate planning is essential to ensuring the orderly transfer of family assets, particularly business and farm assets. Effective planning also works to reduce or eliminate estate and income taxes at death.
At Gislason & Hunter, our practice is rooted in rural Minnesota, and the majority of our attorneys were raised in the Midwest. We understand the needs of our neighbors and our business and farming communities, and over the last 80 years, we have built our full-service law firm to serve them efficiently and effectively.
Some lawyers may not do much more than insert your name into their favorite form thinking that may save cost, however low fees should not be the determining factor when you choose a Minnesota estate planning lawyer. Good estate planning requires customized drafting and expert advice to reduce taxes, implement business succession and contingency. When you or a loved one unexpectedly becomes incapacitated or dies, you will have peace of mind knowing that everything is in order.
Our core clients are business owners and executives, professionals, farm families, and other individuals and couples who have worked hard to achieve significant wealth. With offices in New Ulm and Mankato, we offer comprehensive, affordable services whether you are just getting started or are updating your estate plan:
- Drafting wills, trusts, codicils and powers of attorney
- Preparing health care directives and living wills
- Creating family business succession plans with emphasis on each family’s particular goals and values
- Farm estate and succession planning
- Evaluating estate and gift tax issues and structuring planning options to minimize tax obligations
- Administering and assisting clients with probate proceedings, trust administration, conservatorships and guardianships
- Advising on Medicaid, Medicare, nursing home and elder law issues
- Handling disputed estate and probate matters in litigation, arbitration and mediation formats
Our attorneys individualize your estate plan. We work to provide a smooth transition between generations and minimize taxes while protecting your assets. We will create an estate plan that preserves your legacy and mitigates family discord.
Our accomplished attorneys bring substantial expertise for estate planning to deliver the very best in service and results.
Cases & Clients
Estate Planning for High Asset Individuals
Drafted a wide variety of trust instruments in order to maximize tax efficiency and carry out clients wishes to provide for their families and future charitable giving.
- The Difference an Attorney Makes in Estate Planning
- Where There’s A Will, There’s A… Wait: Important Estate Planning Considerations Amidst COVID-19 Pandemic
- Donor-Advised Funds: How to Stay Philanthropic Under Current Tax Laws
- Income Taxation of Trusts
- Intestate Succession—Dying Without a Will
- Reality Check: Why Millennials Need an Estate Plan
- Financial Concepts for Small Business Owners
- Commercial Real Estate Prices May Not Rise This Year
- Errors to Avoid to Build a Successful Business Online
- Rising Commercial Real Estate Prices Little Cause for Worry
- Negotiating a Settlement with the IRS
- Minnesota’s New Limited Liability Act
- The Legal Implications of Running a Family Business
- The Importance of Clearly Written Contracts
- What Types of Mergers Are There?
- An Overview of Business Taxes in Minnesota
- Family of Businessman Close to Settlement With Accountant
- Withstanding IRS Audits in Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Launching an Investment Program
- Revisiting and Revising a Business Plan
- Small Business Tax Planning
- Business Competition Sees Boost in Female Participants